Wednesday, March 19, 2008

It's Been a While

I haven't written anything for a while. Guess I've been too busy training ... Everything is going pretty well (I guess). The bike rides are hard, the running is hard, the swimming is hard - but I'm doing it and that's what matters. I'm up to swimming about 2100 yards, biking 40 miles and running 8 miles. Last weekend we had a ride in Danville. They said we'd be doing some hills - but jeez! I felt like we were climbing all day!! Below is the elevation map. See that really steep one around mile 25-30?? The name of that road was Pleasant Valley. I didn't find it so pleasant. In fact - I decided at that point that I was done with hills and that maybe I had chosen the wrong event. Luckily the rest of the ride was mostly downhill (which I love).


Summary Data
Moving Time: 3:06:43
Distance: 41.74 miles
Moving Speed: 13.4 mpg avg
Elevation: +3,849 / -3,856
Temperature: 50.9°F avg. /53.6°F high
Wind Speed (mph): 8.9 avg. /11.5 max.

Sunday was supposed to be a run day, but instead I decided to take a break. I helped my friend with some audio for his movie (making zombie sounds) then I went to the St. Patty's Festival and helped a teammate pour beer for her fundraiser. That was way more fun that running.

Unfortunately, I had to make up the run on Monday. I managed 8 miles on the treadmill. Tuesday was a spin class and tonight I'm going to try running 9-10 miles outdoors. I've been having problems with shin splints so we'll see how it goes. I've been stretching every day, icing almost every day and taking Aleve almost every day. I read that to really help shin splints - you should stop running although that's not an option at this point so I'm trying to work through it.

On the plus side, my shoulder feels amazing. I can't remember the last time I have gone this long without pain. It still gets a little "heavy" and sore when I run - but I am beyond excited that I found the solution to my problem - thank you Physical Therapist Glenn and the wonder that is ART.

This weekend will be our first open water swim at Shadow Cliffs in Pleasanton. The water is kind of icky but I've been in worse so it shouldn't be too bad. We'll also get to wear our wetsuits for the first time this season. I'm going to avoid cameras at all costs. No matter your body type - no one looks good in a wetsuit. I think we're following the swim with a 10-11 mile run. I'm hoping the run is on trails - my knees and shins could use a break from the pavement.

I'd like to give a BIG thank you to everyone who has purchased a jacket or vest for my fundraiser - my total is now $1,925!! Only $975 to go. Thank you so much!!

No comments: