Friday, February 15, 2008

Physical Therapy

Went in for physical therapy this morning. I seemed to have made progress on my shoulder workouts. He seemed impressed that I was able to increase the reps on most of my workouts and also that my pain has decreased in only 1 week. I told him the pain/numbness has decreased - but the popping has increased. I "popped" it for him so he could hear it. Also did a couple exercises - and on one exercise in particular my shoulder popped every time.

I had my first experience with A.R.T (Active Release Therapy). He started off by using the ultrasound thing on my shoulder - then did a soft tissue massage. He warned me that A.R.T. would hurt - but so far I thought this was pretty good. Turns out he hadn't started yet.

A.R.T. is basically a technique that treats problems with muscles, tendons, ligaments, fascia and nerves. It involves a lot a pressure - almost like a deep tissue massage but without the massage. Surprisingly it didn't hurt as bad as I thought it would (I imagined myself leaving in tears). And also surprisingly - my pain was gone when he finished.

The area seems a little tender right now - but feels better overall. I'm going to continue my exercises at home. He said I may need to come in for more sessions. We'll see how it goes.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hello there! First of all, I'm impressed. My husband does Triathlons, and trains a lot. He was just wondering the other day if he would ever have the time to train, and do, a 1/2 iron man.

I have a question. What was wrong with your shoulder? I'm wondering because I have some serious issues with mine, but it seem to be more of the muscle, but my shoulder also pops when I lift my arm over my head.

Just leave me a post on my site if you have time, and if you feel like telling me.

Thanks!